Mô tả công việc
Location This post is based in Hanoi, Viet Nam. There will be a requirement to travel within Viet Nam to support projects, mainly in the northern region, and internationally to attend conferences.
Hours of work Full time Monday – Friday, 37.5 hours per week, extra hours may be required.
Tenure Initially for 01 years, including a 02 month probation period, with possibility of extension based on annual performance appraisal and research approval
Reporting to Director of OUCRU - HN and Senior Epidemiologist
Vacancy reference JDHAN_0919_010
The Oxford University Clinical Research Unit Vietnam (OUCRU) is a large-scale clinical and public health research Unit based in Viet Nam. We are hosted by the Hospital of Tropical Diseases (HTD) in Ho Chi Minh City, and the National Hospital for Tropical Diseases (NHTD) in Hanoi. We also have a sister unit in Jakarta, Indonesia. OUCRU is part of the Oxford Tropical Network with its major three hubs in Kenya, Thailand and Vietnam. As part of the Wellcome Trust Asia Africa Programme, we have received considerable support from the Wellcome Trust since our establishment in 1991.
OUCRU’s ten-year vision is to have local, regional and global impact on health by leading a locally-driven research programme on infectious diseases in Southeast Asia. This is being achieved via an integrated long-term research programme, contributions to training, the scientific literature, national and international meetings and membership of national and international committees. Priority is given to health issues important to the hospitals, and to Viet Nam as a whole. All work is intended not only to benefit the patients seen daily at our host hospitals, but also to help improve patient care throughout Viet Nam and the region.
OUCRU was established in 2006 at the National Hospital of Tropical Diseases (NHTD). NHTD is a tertiary level teaching hospital, receiving infection related referrals from northern Vietnam and has close ties to the Ministry of Health (MoH).
Through its partnership with NHTD, OUCRU Hanoi also works with other hospitals and institutes in the region, including the National Institute for Hygiene and Epidemiology, the Vietnam National Children Hospital, the National Lung Hospital, Bach Mai Hospital, National Center for Veterinary Diagnosis, and other regional hospitals and health stations. The research programme at OUCRU Hanoi focuses on influenza, hospital acquired infections, and a range of laboratory, clinical, community and policy aspects of antimicrobial resistance. Through NHTD, OUCRU Hanoi has also been involved in consultations with MoH on antimicrobial resistance surveillance, national quality standards, antibiotic treatment guidelines, management of avian influenza and Streptococcus suis, and other public health issues.
• The Senior Data Scientist will coordinate data science research and data collection and data management for several large population-based studies, with a major focus on antibiotic use and antibiotic resistance. This will involve development of platforms for electronic data capture, extraction and merging of health facility data, maintenance of study databases, monitoring of data quality and feedback, extraction of data, and analytical support. The post holder will also support other researchers within the unit working on quantitative research projects, and contribute to training and skills development workshops. There will be opportunities to conceive new initiatives and projects to expand data science research in the unit – particularly in areas that are associated with OUCRU biomedical research interests.
• They will work closely with the OUCRU Hanoi Research Coordinators. They will be personable, organised, enthusiastic, and highly motivated. They will have good attention to detail, and be able to work independently as well as in a team.
Yêu cầu công việc
Key tasks and responsibilities
• In addition to meeting the minimum qualifications stated above, the ideal candidate for this position will be an experienced data scientist, who is rigorous and motivated.
• You will be working in a team to implement research activities under the guidance/mentorship of the Senior Epidemiologist, and with support from the IT/Data Management Officer based in OUCRU Hanoi. This involves:
• Identify and maintain required hardware for data collection and management
• Design electronic data capture platforms using REDcap, ODK or EpiCollect;
• Lead field-testing of data collection processes;
• Managed the importation of data, and extraction of health facility records;
• Provide quality control measures to assure of high quality, accurate data;
• Extract variables for analysis where required;
• Perform analyses using statistical software (R or Stata);
• Liaise with others for input into projects;
• Develop relationships with local communities and health facilities to facilitate implementation and design of research projects;
• Review literature to provide context for the research, and write up the results in reports and research papers;
• Travel to provinces to set up and implement research projects;
• Draft project protocols, and write up summaries of project activities;
• Manage and administer project-specific budgets;
• Provide input into the OUCRU website and other publications;
• Help with training activities as needed.
• Where the applicant is unfamiliar with the job they may be required to spend time learning the fundamental aspects of this discipline.
• Other tasks requested by Director
• PhD or higher degree, preferably with background in data sciences, statistics or computer science
• Excellent spoken and written Vietnamese and English essential
• Excellent data management skills in R, Stata, SQL, Python etc.
• Experience in quantitative data coding and analysis
• Experience of developing and using electronic data capture platforms such as REDcap, ODK, or EpiCollect highly desirable
• Experience managing and linking large volumes of data
• Experience providing quality control assurance for data management processes
• Highly organized
• Desire to interact with and work with a range of local communities
• Ability to work with a high degree of autonomy, and yet be a team player
• Contracted salary: Negotiate (depending on actual experience and education)
• Optional insurance : In-patient and out-patient medical coverage; Personal accident insurance coverage
• 13th month salary (annual bonus)
• One month salary for annual clothes
• Annual leave 18 days/year (increased to 21 days in year three, 28 days in year four and 30 days from year five).
• Vietnam Social & Health insurance, Sick leave, Personal leave, Maternity leave and National holidays will be based on Vietnam Labor Law
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to send curriculum vitae, application and copies of relevant certificates, either by email or by post to
Oxford University Clinical Research Unit Vietnam
National Hospital for Tropical Diseases
78 Giai Phong, Dong Da, Ha Noi
* The cover letter should detail:
- What part of your education, training or employment history has best equipped you for this position and why you would be a good candidate?
- What experience have you had of working with communities?
- Names of two referees who can provide details of relevant experience
* Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for interview. Please no telephone contact after submitting the application
Contact person Ms. Bui Huyen Trang
Deadline for submission 7th October 2019
Quyền lợi được hưởng
- Contracted salary: Negotiate
Thông tin liên hệ
- Người liên hệ: oxford university clinical research unit
- Địa chỉ: